In this article, we will explain what is the ketogenic diet for weight loss. We will describe in detail its essence, as well as its pros and cons. After all, not all diets are suitable for everyone, everything is individual. We hope this article helps you and your health.
What is the ketogenic diet? It gets its name from the metabolic state (ketosis), which is triggered in the body to lose weight if specific recommendations are followed and certain foods are restricted.
Despite the diet's popularity, science can't prove its miraculous properties. However, those who have already experienced the effect on themselves confirm an increase in endurance and strength, an increase in mass and a normalization of weight. We have tried to gather all the relevant information about the diet, plan the menu for the week and collect feedback in this article.
The essence of the diet
The main principle of work is to reduce the consumption of carbohydrates, as a result of which the body begins to use internal forces and actively burn fat.
From the daily calorie calculation, it turns out that our body needs protein, fat and carbohydrates, and sugar allows you to feel better and maintain a healthy brain. Energy is glucose, and on this diet its supply is limited for a week.
So what to do? The possibilities lie in the principle of the liver, which preserves the stored sugar and, if there is a shortage of sugar consumed, "parts it out" and the body has a chance to function fully again. At the same time, the liver stores only a small part of glucose, so it is not recommended to restrict carbohydrates and sugars for a long time - the work of the brain and the entire organ is based on this reserve.
Despite the diet's popularity, science can't prove its miraculous properties. However, those who have already experienced the effect on themselves confirm an increase in endurance and strength, an increase in mass and a normalization of weight.
Another source of glucose storage is muscle, which is capable of storing twice as much glucose as the liver. An important nuance - glucose in the muscles is stored as glycogen, and in turn it can "give life" to the body, but cannot feed the brain.
Thus, an emergency situation, created by the body's restriction of carbohydrates and glucose, causes the liver and the whole body to work harder, allowing you to burn off the internal fat reserves. The constant presence of ketone bodies in the blood is a state of ketosis. If it is achieved, then the active phase of the diet begins.
Is this another name for a low carb diet? Since the basic principle of such a diet is carbohydrate restriction, for many people this diet is synonymous with a low-carb diet. This is not the truth.
The difference between a ketogenic diet and a low carb diet:
- Carbohydrates and fats/ketones are used for energy production;
- Limit carbohydrates/75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates in the diet.
Advantages of the ketogenic diet:
- Lose weight from fat, not from muscle;
- Lack of hunger;
- Reduces the impact of sugar on your body (reduces diabetes risk, improves skin tone);
- Normalized blood pressure;
- Enhances concentration and brain function (by replacing glucose with ketones).
- Long-term restructuring of the body;
- Tachycardia and headache;
- Feeling tired all week;
- Digestive problems - bloating, heartburn, nausea, constipation;
Who is the diet for?
Doctors recommend using a similar nutritional system for athletes, people with epilepsy, overweight or prediabetes. This weight loss diet has many limitations, so it is necessary to consult a doctor at first.
There are many myths about the ketogenic diet, here are the main ones:
- If in the following week the weight does not change, the health condition worsens, then the food is not suitable. In fact, it will take a few weeks for your body to adapt - you can't eat one style your whole life, one day switch to another and wait for your body to thank you.
- To start ketosis, you need to eliminate nearly all carbohydrates and eat protein. It works the other way around: More protein means less ketosis.
- Ketosis allows you to increase your physical activity and expend more energy. In fact, high fat intake is contraindicated, because high intensity exercise requires glucose supply, and at the time of dieting, you did not have enough.
- Muscle gain diet. Think about it . . . are on a diet! You can lose weight, and you can forget about muscle mass. Of course, you can combine exercise and diet to gain lean muscle mass, but it's better not to - it's very healthy.
Types of diet
- Standard, proposed reduction of important carbohydrates in the diet. Suitable for people with a sedentary lifestyle.
- Target when consuming pre-workout carbohydrates.
- Alternating, if in the diet, at some frequency, emphasis on different micronutrients. For example, one week - protein and fat, another week - carbohydrates.
Rules and product list
The following rules must be observed:
- Adhere to the ratio of BZHU to the predominant fat;
- One serving does not exceed 200 grams, even though it combines several products;
- Avoid frying, using steam, boiling or baking for cooking;
- Sugar - no, like salt;
- Eat only healthy snacks (if necessary).
With the ketogenic diet, it is very important to focus on healthy foods in the menu, banning junk foods and foods that contain large amounts of sugar.
This weight loss diet has many limitations, so it is necessary to consult a doctor first.
The following foods should not be included in your menu and diet:
- Pasta, cereals, bread, starchy foods;
- Foods containing sugar and sweeteners;
- Meat and fish pickled and processed;
- Fruit and dried fruit (with rare exceptions);
- Pea's tree;
- Products with unhealthy fats;
The menu may contain the following products:
- Eggs, fish, poultry, meat;
- Unsweetened coffee and tea;
- Lemon, fresh spices, mustard, ginger.
Before starting the ketogenic diet, you must:
- Get tested, make sure there are no contraindications and consult your doctor;
- Get acquainted with all the information about the diet - working principles, allowed foods, etc. v. ;
- Measure your lifestyle and your ability to get through the adaptation phase;
- Step by step towards the elimination of prohibited foods;
- Create a menu that allows you to gently transition to a ketogenic diet;
- Care of vitamin complex and water balance.
Menu of the week
We give you a menu that you can use during the week. It is more convenient to start the diet on Monday.
- Scrambled eggs without butter with cheese.
- Cheese, apple.
- Steamed Hake.
- Yogurt with berries (fat-free).
- Chicken with vegetable salad.
- Stew with fruits.
- Eggs, oranges.
- Meat soup.
- A little cheese.
- Chopped with herbs.
- 2 boiled eggs, one apple.
- Toast with cheese.
- Rice with chicken breast.
- Protein cocktails.
- Red fish.
- Cheese sticks.
- Two eggs.
- Grilled salmon.
- Omelette with vegetables and cheese.
- Buckwheat with cutlets.
- Boiled beef.
- Pancakes with cheese.
- Chicken, cheese and pineapple salad.
- Toast with pate.
- Baked mushrooms.
- Grilled fish, ¼ butter and cheese.
- Salad with chicken and vegetables.
- Meatball soup.
- Cheese grilled meat.
We have come up with a guide to diet menus for weight loss, now we will tell you about some popular and delicious recipes.
Recipes for allowed dishes
Ingredients: 3 eggs, 500 ml of milk, 200 grams of flour, 500 grams of yogurt, 4 teaspoons of honey
Preparation: each layer prepares separately, then assembles the cake. Yogurt and honey to make the sauce, mix the remaining ingredients and fry in a pan as hot as pancakes.
About KBZHU per serving: 24 grams of protein, 9 - fat and 48 carbohydrates.
Stewed Chicken Fillet
Ingredients: 400 grams of any mushroom, 1 onion, 200 grams of chicken fillet, 1 eggplant, 100 grams of cheese
Preparation: fry mushrooms, onion and eggplant (separately) in a pan, cut fillets, rub cotton, put in baking dish in layers (you take several layers). Bake for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees.
About KBZHU per serving: 10 grams of protein, 2 - fat and 8 - carbohydrates.
Review of the diet
- First tip: this type of food is not for everyone. When I heard about her story, I immediately went to the doctor and made a nutrition plan together, but we still couldn't do sports.
- Second tip: if there's no health guideline for the ketogenic diet, you're better off skipping it. Brutally limiting sugar in your diet is a mockery of your body and a cause of constant discomfort.
- Tip #3: I've had several runs with this diet. The beginning was really bad, the adaptation didn't even work. And the second time I prepared in advance - I gradually reduced carbs and increased fat, drank smoothies. Noticeable weight loss results within a month.
- Fourth tip: The first week you need to be patient, as the state will be. And then the second wind opens, you run as if running on batteries. Eat well and tasty, great results - minus 2% fat for a month.
The ketogenic diet for weight loss is a complex name and simple principles. It is suitable for people with low activity levels who are ready to go through the acclimatization phase for several weeks. It is based on BZHU food accounting and rejection of prohibited list products.
Before going on a ketogenic diet, you definitely need to consult with a specialist who will help you not only create a menu, but also safely transition to a new type of diet. Self-monitoring of your condition with such a diet is problematic, therefore, in the absence of special indications, you should choose a more humane food system.